Definition of the joke is on someone
—used to describe a situation in which a person trying to make something happen to someone else (such as being tricked or embarrassed) ends up having it happen to himself or herself instead He thought he could embarrass us, but now the joke is on him and he's the one who looks foolish.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game