the gold standardnoun
Definition of the gold standard
1 : a system in which a unit of money (such as the dollar) is equal to a particular amount of gold The United States was still on the gold standard in the early 20th century.
2 : something that is considered to be the best and that is used to judge the quality or level of other, similar things This car is the gold standard for luxury automobiles. the gold standard of stylish resorts
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- The Exceptions Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game