the finger of blame/suspicionnoun phrase
Definition of the finger of blame/suspicion
—used with words such as point or direct to say that someone is being blamed or suspected He was shocked to realize that the finger of suspicion was now pointed at him.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?