the fact is/remainsidiom
Definition of the fact is/remains
—used to stress that a statement is true and that its truth is not affected or changed by a previous statementHe may not have meant it, but the fact remains that he committed a crime.The company has struggled recently, but the fact is that they are still making a profit.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game