the dust settlesidiom
Definition of the dust settles
—used to talk about what happens when things become clear or calm after a period of change or confusion I'll call you as soon as the dust settles from the move.When the dust settled and the votes were recounted, she had won the election.You should let the dust settle before you make any big decisions.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?