Definition of the dead
: the state of being dead —usually used in the phrases rise from the dead or come back from the dead or return from the dead to mean to become alive again after dying For a moment, I thought that my grandfather had come back from the dead.They believe that Jesus Christ rose from the dead.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?