the artsplural noun
Definition of the arts
: painting, sculpture, music, theater, literature, etc., considered as a group of activities done by people with skill and imagination She's a patron of the arts. He wants the government to increase its funding for the arts.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- The Exceptions Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game