variants: or tempest-tost \ ¦⸗⸗¦⸗ \
Definition of tempest-tossed
: tossed about or agitated violently : thrown into confusion : overwhelmed when upon life's billows you are tempest-tossed— Johnson Oatman send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me— Emma Lazarus
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game