tell onphrasal verb
told on; telling on; tells on
Definition of tell on
1 informal : to tell someone in authority about the bad behavior or actions of (someone else) Please don't tell on me.
2 : to have a noticeable effect on (someone or something) The stress began to tell on her face/health.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?