tell ofphrasal verb
told of; telling of; tells of
Definition of tell of
formal + literary
1 : to be evidence of (something) : to indicate Her smile told of her good news. His rough hands tell of a hard life.
2 : to describe (something) : to make the details of (something) known The article tells of her Arctic journey.
3 : to talk to (someone) about (something) He told us of his plans to move to the city.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game