plural tan lines
Definition of tan line
: a line that distinguishes a suntan from a paler shade of skin and that shows where an area of skin was covered (as by clothing) when the tanning occurred While the new swimming costume would, in all possibility, leave your body with bizarre tan lines, celebrities seem to be unperturbed by the after-effects.— Reema Gowalla My dad, Larry—Yogi's oldest son—recently found a tan line beneath the '63 ring he got from his dad.— Lindsay Berra
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?