plural tan lines
Definition of tan line
: a line that distinguishes a suntan from a paler shade of skin and that shows where an area of skin was covered (as by clothing) when the tanning occurred While the new swimming costume would, in all possibility, leave your body with bizarre tan lines, celebrities seem to be unperturbed by the after-effects.— Reema Gowalla My dad, Larry—Yogi's oldest son—recently found a tan line beneath the '63 ring he got from his dad.— Lindsay Berra
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?