took aback; taken aback; taking aback; takes aback
Definition of take aback
: to surprise or shock (someone) —usually used as (be) taken abackWhen I told him my answer, he seemed taken aback. —often + byHe was taken aback by her answer.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game