Definition of take time
1 : to need or require time to happen or be done You have to be patient. Things like this take time. It may take some time for the medication to wear off. The meeting won't take too much time. This job is easy and will take no time at all.
2 or take the time : to use an amount of time in order to do something important They never took the time to get to know her. I took some time to think about it, and my answer is still "no."
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?