take one's lumpsidiom
Definition of take one's lumps
: to be badly beaten or hurt He took his lumps as a kid growing up in the city. —usually used figuratively Their first album took its lumps from the critics.The team has taken its lumps this year, but their play has improved recently.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game