take one's lumpsidiom
Definition of take one's lumps
: to be badly beaten or hurt He took his lumps as a kid growing up in the city. —usually used figuratively Their first album took its lumps from the critics.The team has taken its lumps this year, but their play has improved recently.
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game