take on a life of its ownidiom
Definition of take on a life of its own
: to become very large, important, or hard to control The story took on a life of its own and began to appear on news broadcasts everywhere.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game