Definition of take liberties
1 disapproving : to make important changes to something —usually + with I think the movie takes too many liberties with the original story.
2 old-fashioned : to be informal and friendly toward someone in a way that is not proper —usually + with He was accused of taking liberties with several young women.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game