take in towidiom
Definition of take in tow
of a boat or ship
: to pull (another boat or ship) that is attached by a rope or cable —often used figuratively to mean under another's guidance The tourists were taken in tow by a friendly guide.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game