take abackphrasal verb
took aback; taken aback; taking aback; takes aback
Definition of take aback
: to surprise or shock (someone) —usually used as (be) taken aback When I told him my answer, he seemed taken aback. —often + by He was taken aback by her answer.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game