take a/its tollidiom
Definition of take a/its toll
: to have a serious, bad effect on someone or something : to cause harm or damage If you keep working so hard, the stress will eventually take its toll. —often + on Too much sunlight can take a (heavy) toll on your skin.Her illness has taken a toll on her marriage.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game