take a/its tollidiom
Definition of take a/its toll
: to have a serious, bad effect on someone or something : to cause harm or damage If you keep working so hard, the stress will eventually take its toll. —often + on Too much sunlight can take a (heavy) toll on your skin.Her illness has taken a toll on her marriage.
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game