take (something) into one's (own) handsidiom
Definition of take (something) into one's (own) hands
: to take control of something : seek to do something that is the responsibility of others The judge had no sympathy for people who insisted on taking the law into their own hands. After months of waiting for something to happen, he decided to take matters into his own hands.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game