tail offphrasal verb
tailed off; tailing off; tails off
Definition of tail off
: to become smaller or quieter in a gradual way Our productivity tailed off last year. She started to ask a question and then her voice tailed off.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game