Definition of tabard
: a short loose-fitting sleeveless or short-sleeved coat or cape: such as
a : a tunic worn by a knight over his armor and emblazoned with his arms
b : a herald's official cape or coat emblazoned with his lord's arms
c : a woman's sleeveless outer garment often with side slits
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?