Definition of sweetwood
1 : a laurel (Laurus nobilis)
2 : any of various chiefly tropical American trees of the family Lauraceae: such as
a : a tree of the genus Ocotea — compare stinkwood
b : a tree of the genus Nectandra — compare bebeeru
c : a small or medium-sized Jamaican tree (Licaria triandra or Acrodiclidium jamaicense) with easily worked greenish yellow wood
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?