Definition of swamp rabbit
1 : a large big-headed short-furred rabbit (Sylvilagus aquaticus) of moist lowlands in the Mississippi valley and southeastern U.S. that is closely related to but larger and darker than the cottontail
— called also canecutter, swamp hare
2 : marsh hare
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game