Definition of swamp quail
1 : a quail (Coturnix ypsilophorus) of Australia, Tasmania, and New Guinea that is reddish brown and grayish with V-shaped black bars beneath
2 : a blue-breastedquail (Coturnix chinensis) of southern Asia and Australasia
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game