Definition of swamp quail
1 : a quail (Coturnix ypsilophorus) of Australia, Tasmania, and New Guinea that is reddish brown and grayish with V-shaped black bars beneath
2 : a blue-breastedquail (Coturnix chinensis) of southern Asia and Australasia
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game