suspend (one's) disbeliefidiom (1)
Definition of suspend (one's) disbelief
(Entry 1 of 2)
: to allow oneself to believe that something is true even though it seems impossible The plot is ridiculous, but if you can suspend (your) disbelief, it's an enjoyable movie.
suspend one's disbeliefidiom (2)
Definition of suspend one's disbelief (Entry 2 of 2)
: to allow oneself to believe things that cannot be true If you want to enjoy this story, you have to suspend your disbelief.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game