suspend (one's) disbeliefidiom (1)
Definition of suspend (one's) disbelief
(Entry 1 of 2)
: to allow oneself to believe that something is true even though it seems impossible The plot is ridiculous, but if you can suspend (your) disbelief, it's an enjoyable movie.
suspend one's disbeliefidiom (2)
Definition of suspend one's disbelief (Entry 2 of 2)
: to allow oneself to believe things that cannot be true If you want to enjoy this story, you have to suspend your disbelief.
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?