suspend (one's) disbeliefidiom (1)
Definition of suspend (one's) disbelief
(Entry 1 of 2)
: to allow oneself to believe that something is true even though it seems impossible The plot is ridiculous, but if you can suspend (your) disbelief, it's an enjoyable movie.
suspend one's disbeliefidiom (2)
Definition of suspend one's disbelief (Entry 2 of 2)
: to allow oneself to believe things that cannot be true If you want to enjoy this story, you have to suspend your disbelief.
Words from Greek and Latin Quiz
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game