Definition of superreal
1 : marked by extraordinary vividness The outlines of buildings and people came to him with the superreal crispness of things seen through the lens of his telescope. Colors were so vivid they almost made his eyes water.— Eric Van Lustbader The superreal detailing of life employed in the first two books is matched by dramatic tension and a sense of an overarching struggle with the self …— Stuart Evers
2 : going beyond reality : surreal … but in poems such as "An Ordinary Evening in New Haven," the experience is superreal, or surreal. In this poem, the experience of the landscape is reduced to a kaleidoscopic blur of vivid, pure pigment …— Kirsty Black
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game