Definition of supermoon
: a full moon occurring when the moon is at or near the closest point in its orbit A supermoon … occurs when the moon is full within 24 hours of being at its closest point to the Earth in its orbit.— Kaleigh Rogers Visible supermoons appear 14% bigger and 30% brighter than full moons that occur at the farthest point in the moon's orbit.— Karen Hao As the first and only supermoon of 2017 rose high into the sky this Sunday (Dec. 3), astrophotographers seized the opportunity to shoot the moon in all its bigger-than-usual glory.— Hanneke Weitering
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?