Definition of suburban sprawl
: the spreading of developments (such as housing developments and shopping centers) into suburban or rural areas : urban sprawl It's easy to decry suburban sprawl, McMansions sprouting in farm fields, and forests being bulldozed for tract houses.— Charles Lindsay, Audubon, September-October 2004
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?