variants: or sub-treasury
plural subtreasuries or sub-treasuries
Definition of subtreasury
: a subordinate treasury or place of deposit especially : any of nine former branch treasuries of the U.S. "… Whig or Tory, with their interminable brawls about banks and the sub-treasury …" — Nathaniel Hawthorne … the United States Treasury with its subtreasury system had come in 1846; but still there were many, many wildcat banks … — Theodore Dreiser
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game