Definition of subterranean clover
: a low-growing spreading and branching annual clover (Trifolium subterraneum) probably native to the Mediterranean region, valued for pasturage especially in Australia and in parts of North America, and burying the ripening seed heads in the soil like the peanut
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game