Definition of subterranean caterpillar
: any of various large grayish black caterpillars that are larvae of moths of the genus Oxycanus, live in burrows in the ground, and emerge at night to feed on the foliage of pasture plants (such as grass) — see porina
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game