variants: or sub-sentence
plural subsentences or sub-sentences
Definition of subsentence
1 grammar : a sentence that is part of a larger sentence "I was late" is a subsentence of "I was late because it was snowing."
2 : a mathematical or logical statement that makes up part of a larger mathematical or logical statement The sentence "A = B implies that B = C" contains the subsentences A = B and B = C.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game