Definition of suboptimization
- These new offices must carry out a dual role to avoid suboptimization of resources or moving things too slowly.
- —Joseph A DeFeo
- Suboptimization, that is to say, optimization of a particular process or subsystem, may be less efficient than optimization of the larger-scale system.
- —Robert A Frosch
- The opposite side of the coin is to select criteria that produce suboptimizations that are inconsistent with higher-level goals.
- —Military Operations Research Division of Science Applications
suboptimizeplay \ˌsəb-ˈäp-tə-ˌmīz\ or sub-optimize transitive verb suboptimized or sub-optimized; suboptimizing or sub-optimizing
- Don't suboptimize the tasks. Although your paper prototype is built around a particular set of tasks you've created, don't forget about all the other tasks that users might be doing in real life.
- —Carolyn Snyder
- The absence of responsibility contributes to the absence of accountability, which contributes to logistics decisions that suboptimize the organization. When we say 'suboptimize,' we mean the local decisions made may be optimal, but the overall impact on the firm is not optimal.
- —Thomas J. Goldsby and Robert Martichenko