variants: or sub-frame
plural subframes or sub-frames
Definition of subframe
: a secondary frame especially : one that is used for the attachment and support of a finish frame (as of a door or window) or of finish panels (as of a wall) Strictly speaking, the vertical members of a curtain wall's subframe are called mullions, while horizontal members are called transoms. — Jason Alread et al. The rolled steel sections, generally 1/8" thick and 1" - 1 1/2" wide, were used for all the components of the windows: sash, frame, and subframe … — The Preservation of Historic Architecture: The U.S. Government's Official Guidelines for Preserving Historic Homes
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game