variants: or sub-decision
plural subdecisions or sub-decisions
Definition of subdecision
: one of a set of relatively small decisions that are involved in making a larger decision For example, suppose that in a decision problem the contending options are a, b, and c. One subdecision is between a and b. Another subdecision is between b and c. If a is adopted over b, and b is adopted over c, then the combination of subdecisions yields a as the resolution of the overall decision problem.— Paul Weirich
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game