Definition of striped bass
: a large anadromous silvery food and sport fish (Morone saxatilis of the family Percichthyidae) with black horizontal stripes on the sides that occurs along the Atlantic coast of the U.S. and has been introduced into inland waters (such as lakes and reservoirs) and along the Pacific coast
— called also rockfish
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game