strike backphrasal verb
struck back; struck back also stricken back; striking back; strikes back
Definition of strike back
: to try to hurt someone who has hurt one or treated one badly When he called her lazy, she immediately struck back by calling him fat. —often + at He angrily struck back at his critics.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game