strike a balanceidiom
Definition of strike a balance
: to achieve a state in which different things occur in equal or proper amounts or have an equal or proper amount of importance trying to strike a balance between respecting the past and moving into the future He needs to strike a better balance between his work life and his family life.
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game