strike a balanceidiom
Definition of strike a balance
: to achieve a state in which different things occur in equal or proper amounts or have an equal or proper amount of importance trying to strike a balance between respecting the past and moving into the future He needs to strike a better balance between his work life and his family life.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game