Definition of stop short
: to stop or be stopped just before doing or reaching something I had to slam on the brakes when the car in front of me stopped short. He was about to say something, then stopped short. —often + of The boss said that she was unhappy with some employees, but she stopped short of naming which ones.The running back was stopped short of the goal line.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game