Definition of stillstand
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : standstill
2a : an act or instance of stillstanding represent minor stillstands locally preserved in the general emergence of the area— W. G. V. Bolchin
b : stability fairly long periods of stillstand— C. A. Cotton
3 : an interval in the light cycle of a variable star when its brightness temporarily stops rising or falling and perhaps forms a secondary maximum or hump in the light curve
\ " \
Definition of stillstand (Entry 2 of 2)
: to remain stationary with respect to sea level or with reference to the center of the earth —used of a continent, island, or other land area
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game