stay withphrasal verb
stayed with; staying with; stays with
Definition of stay with
1 : to be remembered by and to continue to influence or affect (someone) in some way The memory of that tragic day has stayed with her ever since.
2 : to continue using or doing (something) Stay with the medication for a couple more days and see if the rash clears up. I know the work is hard, but if you just stay with it for a while longer, it'll be done.
3 : to go or make progress at the same rate as (someone) : to keep even with (someone) in a race, competition, etc. The other runners struggled to stay with the leader.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game