start overphrasal verb
started over; starting over; starts over
Definition of start over
1 : to begin doing something again I'm sorry, but you'll have to start over (again). She saw her divorce as an opportunity to start (her life) over.
2 : to begin to happen again In the spring, the eggs hatch, and the cycle starts (all) over (again).
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game