stare (someone) in the eye(s)idiom
Definition of stare (someone) in the eye(s)
: to look directly into the eyes of (someone) She stared me in the eye and told me to leave. —sometimes used figuratively They stared death in the eye and didn't flinch.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?