Definition of star gauge
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : an instrument for measuring bore diameters that consists of a long rod having a micrometer handle and a head fitted to receive adjustable radial steel points
2 : a count of the stars visible in standard areas in different portions of the heavens
Definition of star-gauge (Entry 2 of 2)
: to measure with a star gauge
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game