Definition of star gauge
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : an instrument for measuring bore diameters that consists of a long rod having a micrometer handle and a head fitted to receive adjustable radial steel points
2 : a count of the stars visible in standard areas in different portions of the heavens
Definition of star-gauge (Entry 2 of 2)
: to measure with a star gauge
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?