Definition of stannic oxide
: the dioxide SnO2 of tin that occurs in nature as cassiterite, is produced artificially as a crystalline powder when anhydrous, and is used chiefly in ceramic colors, in vitreous enamels and glazes as an opacifier, in glass, and in polishes — see stannic acid
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game