Definition of stannic chloride
: a mobile liquid compound SnCl4 that fumes in moist air, that is made usually by the action of chlorine on tin (as in recovering tin from scrap), that when mixed with a little water solidifies to a soft crystalline mass of the pentahydrate and with more water slowly hydrolyzes yielding hydrochloric acid, and that is used chiefly in making other tin compounds but was formerly used in weighting silk and as a mordant and in producing military smoke screens
— called also tin tetrachloride
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?