stand asidephrasal verb
stood aside; standing aside; stands aside
Definition of stand aside
1 : to move to the left or right with one step or a few small steps Please stand aside and let me pass.
2 : to allow something to happen : to not try to stop someone from doing something I'm not going to stand aside and watch you ruin your life.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game